Thursday, August 6, 2015

Matt Abraham's Virtual Book Tour for DANE CURSE & His Hilarious Outlook as an American Author Living in China



Synopsis:
If you lose a black cape, and can’t go to the cops, then you come to me because that’s what I do. I’ve been in the game for years. I know all the curves and all the angles, and if it gets rough then so be it, I got plenty strength, I’m double tough, and I never quit. And if need be I’ll pull my artillery to get you some answers, because I don’t care about the mistakes you’ve made or how you chose to live your life, sometimes even the unjust deserve a little justice. 

At least that’s how it was before a mysterious murder threatens to plunge Gold Coast City into a super-powered war unless I find the killer in five days' time. But getting to the truth won’t be so easy. I’ll have to face ruthless black capes with secrets to hide, a powerful government agency bent on national expansion, and even teams of white caped heroes whose intentions are less than pure. 

No easy task for a small-time PI, so I’ll need every bit of my strength and guts if I’m going to find the killer, save my city, and maybe even get some justice for the greatest hero the world has ever known.

Purchase Link: 

Matt's Website: 






What It Is Like For An American  

Author Living In China

Living in China
I’ve called many places home. Wilmington, Tucson, Philadelphia, Hawaii, and even Singapore, but one year ago my wife and I moved to China. That’s not long enough to know a country, but it’s enough to know a city, so please allow me to introduce you to life in Ningbo, the Venice of southeast China.
Food and drink
So, the first thing you’ll notice in China is that you can’t drink the tap water. I’d like to blame fracking, but I don’t think they do that here. I think they made the pipes out of lead, it’s that they made the water out of lead, or that local industry uses our reservoir to wash their lead, but whatever the reason, we buy bottled water all the time. Chinese bottled water. Which I swear tastes like water from a tap. Not that it’s a problem because for 50 cents you can get a Tsingtao Beer!
Which also tastes like water from the tap.
But the food’s pretty great, and I know you can’t tell from the tone, but I’m actually being serious here. Chinese cuisine is quite different on the mainland than it is back home in the states, and healthier as well. Though there are some definite adventurous aspects. Like buying eggs, they’re loose. They don’t put them in cartons. Take a look:
Macintosh HD:Users:matthewschnetter:Pictures:iPhoto Library.photolibrary:Previews:2014:06:13:20140613-200121:+pd0dViwTxyF0NKLzpHy%A:IMG_2050.jpg

Awesome, right?! Those are actual dinosaur eggs! Or maybe dragon, I don’t know, but either way check out the size of them! Those are chicken eggs in the back for sale! Incredible, right? But that’s the supermarket, if you want a snack on the go you can always have a duck gizzard.

Macintosh HD:Users:matthewschnetter:Pictures:iPhoto Library.photolibrary:Previews:2014:06:13:20140613-200121:0SkvNqmzSPeF%W5M60ImJg:IMG_2017.jpgMacintosh HD:Users:matthewschnetter:Pictures:iPhoto Library.photolibrary:Masters:2014:07:29:20140729-213238:IMG_2078.JPG

Demolition shrimp? Donkey blasting mutton? It’s like Michael Bay designed these menus. I ordered two of each.
Shopping
Now, before you ask the answer is: Yes, there are some amazing opportunities to buy some really well-made knockoffs. They’ve got everything out here. Guchee, Calvin Cline, Lulumellon… In fact, I purchased these for my wife last month:
Macintosh HD:Users:matthewschnetter:Pictures:iPhoto Library.photolibrary:Previews:2014:12:28:20141228-204117:lUju%EEuRee%Q8LKFN%Mrg:IMG_3217.jpg
See, thanks to the quality stitching I bet you didn’t notice but those aren’t official Disnee brand Mikey Mouse slippers! And they only cost half the price!
But it doesn’t end with clothing, the technology out here is so amazing it’s like living on the bridge of the USS Enterprise. I swung by the electronics store a few days ago, check out that selection:
Macintosh HD:Users:matthewschnetter:Pictures:iPhoto Library.photolibrary:Previews:2015:05:05:20150505-160122:UkALKwgPS6KGNbUXaCRFeA:IMG_4214.jpg
Seriously, where else can you buy a Newton, a pager, and a car phone? Nowhere, that’s where. And of course, I bought a new phone here. Granted it only calls 1987 and weighs twenty pounds, but that makes it retro. And impervious to theft.
Transportation
Getting around Ningbo is awesomely easy. If you own a car. I don’t, so I walk and bike, and the first thing I noticed was, and I’m not joking here, there’s rubble everywhere. In vacant fields, next to schools, in the middle of the road… So much rubble.
Wrong Rubble
There you go
I don’t know how many buildings were here before I arrived, but there’s only like half as many now and the rest have been destroyed to build more buildings, which I assume will be destroyed to make more rubble. That’s what the Chinese Lion King calls the circle of life.
But barring the rubble the streets themselves are actually pretty easy to navigate. Ningbo has signs all over that can help a new expat like me. Take a look:
Macintosh HD:Users:matthewschnetter:Pictures:iPhoto Library.photolibrary:Previews:2015:05:05:20150505-160122:VKodXIbLQDCw6Ew4oaY5gQ:IMG_4227.jpg
Just look at that thing, what does it mean? No trucks, no bikes, no mopeds, and yet there’s a truck coming in the opposite direction that I think the sign says is illegal! And that’s just a small sample. What’s so cool about getting around in China is while America and other Western nations had time to slowly adapt to cars (first the kind with cranks to the ones we have today) China just jumped from bikes to Ferraris which makes crossing a road in China is a crazy experience. The traffic laws, like the traffic lights are mere suggestions, kind of like the parking lines.
Macintosh HD:Users:matthewschnetter:Pictures:iPhoto Library.photolibrary:Previews:2015:02:16:20150216-210109:LOUi1nsYTrWX2XCTnAu80g:IMG_3321.jpg
Conclusion
So what do you call a place with poison water, plentiful duck gizzards, antiquated phones, and Mad Max style road conditions? Well, you could call it crazy, but the fact is that every culture seems odd to the people who aren’t of it. Or you could call it an adventure because the small roads here have four lanes going the wrong way with no traffic lights making getting to the supermarket like a game of high stakes Frogger.
Both of those descriptions are pretty apt, but there’s not to my taste, because despite how insane the town is, how rubble filled, and how alien, I’m actually proud to call it home.

Author's Bio:
Matt Abraham currently lives in China with his criminally insane cat Durden, his beautiful one-month-old son Kal, and his supportive wife Jenny. His critically acclaimed debut novel Dane Curse will be free on Amazon this Thursday and Friday, August 6th and 7th. more information on fiction structure check out his virtual blog tour occurring today and tomorrow, and Friday. And of course, you can contact him at authormattabraham@gmail.com or visit him at danecursepi.wordpress.com.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I am so glad that you liked this post and thanks for the wonderful comment. Come back soon!
      Happy Reading,
      Angie

      Delete