Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Sister Girl by one of my new favorite Indie authors Jonna Ivin

Sister Girl by Jonna Ivin
In the summer of 1967, at the age of four, Tess received two things; a baby sister and the nickname Sister Girl. Neither of which she wanted. Life had been perfect before baby Grace came into their lives. Sure, sometimes Mama got mad at Daddy or Daddy got mad at Mama, but most days Tess enjoyed a regular routine. Eating her cereal while sitting on the floor in her underpants, watching morning cartoons, or visiting with Mrs. Gardner next door was enough to keep her happy. She didn’t see why anything needed to change, but as Mama always said, “Life moves forward and you need to move with it or you’ll get swept away.” 
This humorous coming of age novel by Jonna Ivin takes the reader on a journey through the late 60’s into the early 80’s. You'll fall in love with Sister Girl as she manages to survive a world where grownups teach her how to nail clothes to the floor, hustle money at the track, and play with matches. All the while she manages the overwhelming responsibility of being the big sister to Grace (an increasingly odd child who barks at strangers). 

MY REVIEW 
I wish that I could get everyone to read this book. It is that of a incredible read. Sister Girl is for everyone. You never know what is going to happen next in this book. I was not that far into Sister Girl when I started to feel like I was there with them. Which is strange because all these years of reading books I have never got that lost in a book. I cheered, cried, laughed so hard my sides hurt, and even yelled at my Kindle when I got so annoyed at Nana for hoarding in other peoples spaces. It took place during the time men were learning that they are not the "king of the castle" anymore. Kate was a strong woman and did what was needed to keep her kids safe. She felt like a hero to me. Tess was the strongest in all ways. For Grace you need to read the book to find out. I have to say Jonna Ivin is better than all the big named authors put together. I hope there is a follow up to this book....


(Given to me for review by LibraryThing)

No comments:

Post a Comment